For Low-Income Adults

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have any available apartments?

Breaking Ground is continually filling vacancies at all of its apartment buildings. We maintain a waitlist for vacant units. You must have an application on file in order to be eligible for a studio apartment.

How long does it take to get an apartment?

Once you have completed and submitted an application, your name will be placed on the waitlist for all the buildings for which you indicated a preference and/or for which you are eligible. Since there is no way to anticipate how quickly vacancies will occur or how many of the people on our waitlist will find other housing, there is no way to tell you exactly how long this process will take. However, we encourage you to apply since we tend to move quickly through the applications we have received.

All applications are reviewed for eligibility and applicants will be notified of their status by mail. Applicants will be asked to participate in at least two interviews. At the time of the interviews, Breaking Grounds Central Intake Unit will review your financial, credit, housing and employment histories. Please be aware that acceptance for our housing is based on all of these criteria. Please see Criteria section for additional information on how applicants are accepted for our housing.

What are the income requirements for your buildings?

To learn more about the income requirements at each of our buildings, please see our housing applications.

All applications are thoroughly reviewed on a case-by-case basis. At no point in the application process are you guaranteed an apartment until you have signed a lease and received the keys.

If I make less than the minimum requirement, can I still qualify for housing?

If you earn less than the minimum requirement and you are a recipient of services or assistance from the HIV/AIDS Services Administration (HASA), the Department of Homeless Service (DHS), the Office of Mental Health (OMH) or the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), please have your caseworker contact CUCS at (212) 801-3333 to see how you may be eligible for our housing.

If you are not a recipient of services or assistance from HASA, DHS, OMH or DOHMH, and you make less than the minimum requirement, you may qualify for our housing. If an applicant has other means of assuring that their financial obligations can be met, then an exception to the minimum income requirements may be possible. For example, an applicant may have an individual Section 8 voucher to subsidize rent payments. All applications will be thoroughly reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

I am on Public Assistance, Social Security, veterans benefits and/or a pension. I don’t have Section 8 nor do I receive services from HASA, OMH, DOHMH or DHS. Can I still qualify for Breaking Ground housing?

If you meet the income requirements for our sites, you may qualify for our housing.

I’m a freelancer—am I eligible?

Yes, but only if you meet the income requirements. We require your last three years of income tax returns, as well as proof of current income in order to verify your eligibility.

If I make more than the maximum, can I still qualify for housing?

Breaking Ground follows federally mandated guidelines to determine income-eligibility for housing at our buildings. If you earn more than our maximum at the time of application, you are not eligible to be a tenant and we cannot offer you housing at this time.

How much is the rent on one of your units?

Please see the application for details.

Do you accept Section 8 vouchers?

Yes, we accept Section 8 vouchers.

On your application, it states that assets must be evaluated to determine eligibility. Is there a limit to the amount I can hold in assets?

No. There is effectively no limit to the amount you can hold in assets. However, we are required to add the income earned or 2% of the value of those assets to your annual income. If you are close to our minimum or maximum income, this may affect your eligibility for housing.